Curating Resources during COVID-19
Mar 16, 2020
As those who have worked with me know, I love curating activities and resources! When I was in front of students, I loved being able to present cool, unique, and interesting resources that I knew would captivate them.
During this time of transition to e-learning, I want to offer you some of the great resources I have found! I am so humbled by the outpouring of support and generosity! We are always stronger together!
- Check out Home Safari Facebook Live everyday at 3pm starting March 16th: While the Cincinnati Zoo is closed and kids are home from school, let us help make your children’s hiatus from school fun and educational. Join us for a Home Safari Facebook Live each weekday at 3pm where we will highlight one of our amazing animals and include an activity you can do from home. Join us starting Monday, March 16 at 3pm for our first Home Safari- featuring Fiona!
- 20 Virtual Fields Trips to Take with your Kids: Virtual field trips are a great way to expose kids to new places all from the comfort of home. In this age of technology, so many museums, zoos and aquariums have set up virtual tours and webcams of their facilities. Now more than ever, is it easier to visit destinations around the world from the comfort of your couch.
- Engineering Activities for Kids (when Under Quarantine): Lindsey Nelson is a mechanical engineer and engineering educator based in Washington, DC. Since October 2017, she has been offering online science and engineering classes for small groups of kids ages 5 to 18. Her big goal as an engineering educator is to design activities that use low-cost supplies you already have around the house and are easy to deploy in a hurry. She has created a BINGO-style board of awesome engineering that jives well with social distancing.
- Kylene Beers: Kylene Beers is offering FB Lives from 3:00-3:0 ET/2:00-2:30 CT that will feature a lesson or speaker! This is for educators, free PD!
- Chris Van Dusen reads his book the Circus Ship on Youtube - A beloved Maine Author
- Kelly Gallagher shares lesson plans for teachers: I love his focus on recording student accounts of living through this experience! What we record today, will become a primary resource in the future!
- Thank you Mrs Fahrney for compiling some awesome virtual field trips!
- Here are 450 Ivy League courses you can take online right now for FREE!
- Kudos to Kentucky Association for Gifted Children! They compiled a PHENOMENAL list of Virtual Gifted and Talented Enrichment Support Materials
- McHarper Manor is going live everyday at 1pm on FaceBook with a daily craft/art tutorial! Visit their blog to learn what supplies you'll need, let the creative juices flow!
- Texas Elementary Principals & Supervisors Association is going live every night at 6:30 CST (7:30 EST) with a Read Aloud, how fun! At TEPSA, we are partnering with some of our favorite children's book authors & publishers to do nightly Facebook Live book readings! There may even be some surprise author visits with some of the readings!
- Paris Museums put 100,000 images online for unrestricted use! Paris Musées, a collection of 14 museums in Paris have recently made high-res digital copies of 100,000 artworks freely available to the public on their collections website. Artists with works in the archive include Rembrandt, Monet, Picasso, Cézanne, and thousands of others.
- Free online art lessons for kids and adults on YouTube: Subscribe to youtube.com/c/WildFreeandCrafty
- Scholastic is offering FREE grade level resources. Access to 20+ days of articles and stories, videos, and fun learning challenges.
- Cellist Yo-Yo Ma is sharing recorded performances of music that brings him comfort on his FaceBook page.
- Metropolitan Opera offers "Nightly Met Opera Streams" every night at 7:30 EST
- Storyline Online is a FREE children's literacy resource featuring the world's best storytellers reading books aloud. Each video includes an activity guide with lessons for K-5 students to do at home.
If you enjoyed this list, you may also enjoy my FREE workbook, Six Strategies to Reach Your Gifted Learner. Click here to download it now!
Be well! Stay sane.
P.S. Any italicized wording is the work of the linked organization, let's always respect each other's intellectual property!
P.P.S. If you want to continue receiving useful education related information directly to your inbox, join my mailing list here